Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Macam kat China da..

Yesterday we had a weekly Research Seminar for math department specialize in applied and computational math. The presenter was a Dr from China and all the audience were chinese except me. Heh.. My advisor and my collegue were there too.

For the first 30 minutes he talked in English with heavy accent of chinese. I can't hardly understand what he said plus he displayed his full paper on the projector and went through all over it. No slide huh? Nay..

I tell you what, the most active audience is my advisor, he asked a lot of questions and it seems like they were both discussing the matter while other people just being an observer. At first, my advisor asked in English, but then he asked in Chinese to that guy. This was because as I said earlier the guy can't speak English very well to deliver his talk. I think it is ok if he answer questions in his language but no matter what he need to present in English. Believe it or not, in the next 30 minutes I heared Chinese talk only.

It was an awkward moment for me. I think I wasted my time. I was so mad inside and made a promise to myself not to come again to this seminar if the presenter is chinese. Later in the evening I got an email from my advisor arranging my presentation for this seminar in October. Well.. that means I need to break up my promise. I must attend every week so that I can get used to the people there and hopefully I can give my presentation comfortably. Hehe..

p/s: Self-reminder: Don't speak Malay if you have an audience who can't speak Malay.

4 comments:

  1. China mula menguasai dunia. Sangat menakjubkan bila nabi Muhammad pernah kata: "carilah ilmu sampai ke nagara China". Allah telah bagi petunjuk awal melalui nabi bahawa China akan mendahului dalam pelbagai bidang.

    Anyway, good luck for your presentation. You can do it! InshaaAllah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sollu alaih.. thank kak lyn. Good luck utk akak gak. Semoga dipermudahkan. See you at the top!

      Delete
  2. Cakap jer Melayu.. sebab pada tahun 1990, Bahasa Melayu adalah bahasa ke 9 penutur teramai di dunia. Jadi, kalau orang cina pulak tak faham, mereka akan balik awal, back to square one. Thesis Master saya dulu pun in Bahasa Melayu.hahahahahha

    ReplyDelete