Saturday, April 14, 2012

Unexpected thing

The graded Homework #2 Applied Math was returned and discussed in class today. I got 9/10 but ironically I was not happy inside. The reason was I copied the answers from someone else. Please don't think me lazy. (OK, I'm trying to defend myself here, I guess). The professor expected that we would  finish it during last Spring break. Yeah, I did some at the beginning of the holiday. But then my study mood seemed to disappear as it was holiday season.

We went to Gatlinburg, Tennessee for four days as a reward for me passing the Quals exam. After the spring break was over, I asked my Chinese friend to discuss about the homework and she just gave me her answer script that she copied from other student. Because time was very limited, so I just made a copy by saying to myself that I'll try to understand it later.Yes.. later..

Eventually, I managed to figure out question number one only. I found that my friend's answer was wrong and then I wrote my own answer confidently, even it was not same with the solution given in the text book. Instead, my friend's answer match with the given solution. That was the only question I understood and the remaining 5 questions were completely 'copy and paste'.

At the end of the class, when everybody started to pack their things, Prof Q called me to the front. I was so nervous. Did he knew that I didn't do my work? Oh no.. dup dap dup dap. I could hear my heartbeat.

"What will you do this Summer I?", he asked. I  replied promptly. "I will attend c++ workshop." Then he said again. "Actually, I want to hire you as my RA."

Ahh.. what a great relief. Ya Allah..

Then I said, "Oh really? Allright..". He smiled and said, "Ok, let's discuss in my office. Do you have time now?". "Yeah, sure..". I replied.

He said he chose me, not D (an american student in my class) because I did well in my homework. I was the only student gave the correct answer for question number one, make him realized that the given solution in the text book was not true. Ya Allah.. If he know that the rest is not originally from me. I smiled bitterly. But I guess I can take  this credit for my hard work in the previous homework to make me feel less guilty. 

Alhamdulillah.. I will be hired as a Research Assistant for one month during Summer break and will be earned USD $2000. Can you imagine that? It is approximately RM6200, almost more than two times my salary as a lecturer in Malaysia.  If he can give me USD$2000, then how much his salary per month? USD$10k? 13K? Wow.. 

Rizq is in the hands of Allah. I should do more sadaqah jariah for all His abundant nikmat. Hopefully our life would be more blessed by Allah. 

Allahu Akbar, Subhanallah, Alhamdulillah.. Thank you Allah.


Mental note: Allah melapangkan bagi mu supaya engkau tidak selalu dalam kesempitan dan Allah menyempitkan bagi mu supaya engkau tidak hanyut dalam kelapangan, dan Allah melepaskan engkau dari keduanya, supaya engkau tidak bergantung pada sesuatu selain Allah.

No comments:

Post a Comment